"Russia is the only country in the world realistically capable of turning the United States into radioactive ash," anchor Dmitry Kiselyov said on his weekly news show on state-controlled Rossiya 1 television. Mr. Kiselyov is a provocative news anchor who made a veiled nuclear threat at the United States today just as Crimea has voted to succeed from Ukraine and rejoin Russia. So what is the state of the US and Russian nuclear arsenals?
1. United States is unilaterally reducing our nuclear missile and warhead arsenals under the terms of the 2009 New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty that entered into force in 2011.
2. US nuclear warheads stockpile has been reduced 85% from 31,255 warheads in 1967 to just over 4,000 today.[http://blogs.fas.org/security/2013/02/stockpilereduction/]
3. US nuclear missiles and bombs have been reduced to 1550 but only 700 are deployable. In comparison, Israel may have about 2,800 warheads and up to 500 deployable nuclear weapons.
4. Since the Start II treaty, the US has De-MIRV'ed all Minutemen and Trident missiles. That means 1 missile = 1 warhead.
5. The US has taken our nuclear missiles off "launch on warning" meaning we will likely absorb a nuclear first-strike before a response meaning no deployable nuclear weapons will be left. Any US retaliation now relies on the President activating the "nuclear football". After a decapitating first-strike, the POTUS will likely be forced to just "stand down".[http://www.armscontrol.org/act/1997_11-12/pdd]
Nuclear war is not a game of Tic-Tac-Toe. Despite what the public thinks it may know about nuclear strategy, "launch on warning" means whomever fires first loses. If you take your missiles off "launch on warning" whomever fires first wins.
6. Russia withdrew from the START II treaty and has been not only stockpiling massive amounts of weapons-grade fissile material but reprocessing their old warheads into new warheads.
7. Russia is rolling out upgraded weapons delivery systems. New Russian ICBM's and submarine-based weapons have been MIRV'd with 10 maneuverable independent warheads each (Topol-M, Yars, Bulava, Sarmat)
8. The New START treaty has allowed Russia to deploy nuclear missiles on railway and cargo containers. It is also likely that Russia has weaponized space and has a constillation of nuclear EMP-equipped satellites.
9. Russia maintains and deploys its nuclear stockpile at a secret underground complex at Yamantau Mountain and have never permitted UN inspectors or Western observers entrance.
10. Mr. Dmitry Kiselyov is mistaken that Russia is the only potential nuclear threat to the US. China also has a sizable nuclear arsenal that it keeps in a network of underground tunnels in Sichuan. These "nuclear tunnels" were spotted after several tunnels collapsed during the 2008 Sichuan earthquake. Chinese media has also made several veiled nuclear threats and boasts against the US.
11. After a theoretical nuclear first-strike on the West by Russia and China, These countries will be free to take whatever territory they wish without any opposition.
12. President Obama recently moved the US anti-ballistic missile system out-of-position from Europe to sourround North Korea just as the President promised Medvedev he would do after he was re-elected.
13. President Obama has purged many high-ranking Navy and Airforce generals who oversee the US missile command on spurious charges.
14. Globalist Elite are moving to South America or building nuclear fallout shelters under their mountain retreats in Aspen, CO, Ozarks, or North Georgia. When they emerge from their bunkers after a first-strike, they will claim that they were decieved by Russia and that the US must now give up our national soverignty and join with a League of Democracies to fight the re-emerged Communist threat. When asked how they knew to build bunkers, they will say they did it because of fear of economic collapse.
15. Russia also maintains it's own "launch on warning" system called "Perimeter" or "Dead Hand". This Russian automated system would detect a US nuclear launch and ideally automatically retaliate before the US missiles arrived and detonated in Russia. "Dead Hand" is really designed to win nuclear war via "launch on warning" principles and not just break even via a MAD strategy.
16. It is absolutely not true that the US has enough nuclear warheads to destroy the Earth surface even once over. ICBM Nuclear warheads range from 100 kT - 1 MT (dial-a-yield-nuke) which would create an "area of effect" radius between 3-10 miles each.
17. The media is just now reporting that China is fitting their stealth submarine fleet with JL-2 nuclear long range missiles. According to naval intelligence, China now has five nuclear attack submarines, four nuclear ballistic missile submarines, and 53 diesel attack submarines.
18. US Millitary and State department aknowledge that Russia has been building up and modernizing their nuclear capibility not just to draw even with the West but to dominate the West. US State Department cabels warn that Russia is not building up for nuclear parity with the West but "to achieve nuclear superiority."
19. US to reduce minuteman 3 silo-based ICBM to 400.